Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Eve

W.H.Auden put it well: "I want to approach the future as a friend, without a wardrobe of excuses."

Amen.

This year has worn right out and it is time to put it to bed and ring in 2007. I do not want to spend too much time looking back; regrets are a complete waste of time. All possiblities lie in the present moment and beyond. Nothing can bring back the last 365 days. Nor would I want them to be handed back to me. I have wonderful memories to cherish from the year and accomplishments I am happy with, as well as countless things I did not do and wish I had. Both categories in no way have to shape my future. If I do look to the future as a friend, I can also approach the past that way as well.

I found great pleasure in the books I read in 2006, particularly the books written by Mary Doria Russell. I am proud of the efforts I made in learning to play the guitar and the work done in my career this year. I spent more time cultivating my friendships and finally started writing regularly in my blog! I spent a lot of time in nature, walking, relaxing, dreaming, thinking and being. I saw Tom Waits, Indigo Girls and Bob Dylan this year for the first time.

The year can be summarized in such a brief paragraph but there are layers of joys that each day held for me.

In the New Year I am still one of those people that get giddy about the possibilities. I make resolutions and have the childlike innocence to believe that indeed things can change; the world can be a better place. I love the opporunity handed to me to start over, fresh, new, clean. If I look back oftentimes, resolutions do not stick. However, I do see small changes overtime and if the resolutions are not made; perhaps I wouldn't have a clear picture of how I want my life to look. How do I want to be in the world? What do I want to spend my short time on earth doing?

Come on in 2007. I can hardly wait to meet you. You will not be perfect. No year ever is. There will be joy and pain, peace and sorrow, adventure and the mundane. New life will be born; death for some is certain. Nothing will stop this passing of time and yet it is the space in between the living and dying that makes it all worthwhile. Breathe and look around for the New Year too, will pass on by all too quickly.

No comments: