Saturday, September 08, 2007

Madeleine L'engle

Madeleine L'engle passed away Thursday. She was 88 years old. I loved her dearly even though I never got the opportunity to meet her. I know so much about her from all the wonderful stories and books she has written over the years. I have never felt so much affection for an author. I am certain we were kindred spirits of sorts. She valued so many of the things I do.

I have been thinking about her a lot today. I think about how she loves to travel. She actually traveled to Antarctica once! I loved reading about her adventure into such a unique place to go. I remember how everyone had to wear red so that if they were lost when they were exploring they could easily be found.

I remember how much she loves classical music and playing piano. She was able to relax as she played and got lost in her songs. I feel the same way. When I am practicing, I often think of her. She also loved nature and needs to walk outside to remember who she is and what she is about. I also need this time to unwind. So many people do not seem to need their solitude and I often have felt like I am the only one who does. Then I read some of the things Madeleine has written and I do not feel so alone in those feelings.

She also believed strongly in male and female friendships. That is almost impossible to find in today's society. It is a breath of fresh air to hear her talk about it. I feel validated and assured that my ideas are not so strange, just different.

She loved the theatre and had such a brilliant imagination. She loved children. She loved animals. She loved people. She loved God. She was one of the first intelligent Christian women that talked openly outloud about how metaphors can still be real. She loved the art of a story. Stories have so much truth in them. She was an intelligent, thinking, loving person that had a unique way of seeing the world and didn't try to be anyone but herself. I respect her so much and look up to her.

I feel like pulling out everything I have by her from my bookshelves and reading everything all over again. I want to be near her ideas right now and honor her memory. She was one of a kind. She will be missed.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Indeed. Beautifully written.

I wrote my own tribute in a flurry this weekend and shot it off in an email to Burnside. So, I didn't want to post it in hopes that they might print it (but they only refresh on Mondays). And then I reread it and found it really didn't say all that much. And then I read other people's tributes and was deeply moved. So I will probably go ahead and post it up on my site, and just be proud of myself for actually having the courage to send something...