Friday, July 27, 2007

I love Madeleine L'Engle

"It's all been said better before. If I thought I had to say it better than anybody else, I'd never start. Better or worse is immaterial. The thing is that it has to be said; by me; ontologically. We each have to say it, to say it our own way. Not of our own will, but as it comes out through us. Good or bad, great or little: that isn't what human creation is about. It is that we have to try; to put it down in pigment, or words, or musical notations, or we die."
~ Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

2 comments:

Brook said...

That is probably one of my top 10 favorite quotes of all time. It is certainly motto-worthy. helps me keep some sort of perspective on my perfectionism when I sit down to write anything (or do anything which makes me nervous for that matter).

and please don't forget who introduced you to that one! (despite the fact that Kimberly reminded you of it)
;-)

Kimberly said...

yes... I am the late-comer. :)

But I will have to have a lovely version of this quote framed and prominently displayed once I have my writing corner ready.