Thursday, July 26, 2007

Remembering Tammy Faye

Tammy Faye is a lady who touched my life. As a child my family would watch Jim and Tammy all the time. I appreciated the message of hope she would give her listeners. Her love for Jesus made an impression on me. I also enjoyed watching her sing. I actually bought a few of her albums with my own money and her daughter, Tammy Sue's album too. I remember being so excited to see my purchases come in the mail. I do believe it was one of the first mail orders I made on my own. Her songs offered comfort to me. She encouraged people to not live in fear, to not spend life worrying, to take one day at a time, to make lemons out of lemonade. I can still hear her deep, strong, soulful voice coming out of her little body, singing those old hymns and a few of her songs still visit me and return to my conscious mind and I find myself humming or reciting one of her songs.

There is something about her that reminds me of my own Mom and I couldn't quite say for sure what it is. Something about her fragile heart perhaps. Something about her vulnerability. Something about her love for Jesus, her trust in Jesus. Something about her love for her children. Her love of animals. Something about her beauty. Yes, I think she is beautiful. She felt she needed make-up and clothes, but really I could see through all that to more of her true self. Her eyes truly were a window to her soul. I read recently that the first time she put on mascara, she immediately went and wiped it all off because she had always been told that make-up was of the Devil. I am glad she was able to let go of that misbelief and perhaps that is why she wore so much of it. There was freedom in her make-up.

Tammy loved to laugh and be silly. I was heartbroken back in the late eighties when everything started falling apart for them. It was a publicly humiliating, tragic time as Jim and Tammy made the front headlines and the PTL Club (which I was never able to visit) came tumbling down. She had reminded me of a little girl on so many occasions and I could not imagine how she could survive such a mess. She did survive though and overcame to forge a little piece of the world with what was left of the ashes. I believe her faith helped her. I have not a word of judgement to offer.

Someone had seen an interview with her and asked me what I think she wants to be remembered for. I immediately knew the answer; her eyelashes. I have to say though, she will be remembered in my heart for quite a bit more. Her voice, her personality, her way of being and her love of Jesus.

"One day at a time, Sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking from You.
Just give me the strength, to do everyday, what I have to do...
Yesterdays gone, Sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine,
Lord give me the strength, to do everything
one day at a time... "



1 comment:

Andrew said...

I thought Tammy did a good job when she appeared on a season of the Surreal Life. She was kind and graceful to every person on that show.