Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Switchfoot Collides with Bloodgood

Switchfoot performed at Main Stage where I sat high on the hill with the open sky above me and one of my favorite groups singing their heart out down below on stage. They started with the song I wanted them to begin with, Oh! Gravity. This delighted me in a wonderful way! Then they went into Stars and somewhere near the beginning played another favorite of mine, Dare You to Move. They played Ammunition and American Dream. During American Dream they had this incredible moment where they completely froze and stopped everything! I love theatrical moments like that. I was able to pause for a moment and really take in the stage as they stood like statues in dramatic poses. I loved it. The crowd screamed and roared and I think they must have stayed that way for at least a full minute and then continued exactly where they had left off. They also played Gone, which is a powerful song that causes one to really think about life and how fast it all speeds by.

Below is the video for Oh! Gravity.
"Gravity, why can't we, seem to keep it together?...Why this tragedy? Why can't we seem to keep it together? Oh! Gravity, why can't we, seem to pull it together...we found out the hype won't get you through"-Switchfoot



Sometime after this I hopped on the back of a random golfcart (run by a young guy who did not have a flashlight and got stopped by security, luckily right where we were getting off!)...I went with a friend to go see Bloodgood, who were reuniting after many, many years for this rare moment in time, that just happened to collide with my Switchfoot concert. As I've said before, the world of Cornerstone is filled with all sorts of conflicts like this and comes with the territory. I've seen Switchfoot before this (once even on my birthday!), so I should not complain too much. I am actually beginning to appreciate Bloodgood, beginning with the albums Detonation and All Stand Together. Good summertime classic rock feel. My first impression on listening to them was "Hey, that's Steve Perry!"

2 comments:

Brook said...

ha ha... remember when you guys compared Rebecca St. James to Bjork, and I ducked, thinking some Bjork fan somewhere was going to hear you and throw something at you? well, if you'd have made that "Steve Perry" comparison about 20 years ago, you probably would have gotten (as they say) a fistful of metal! It's so funny how stuff we thought was so hardcore and dangerous to listen to back then sounds no different than Journey today!

Glad you put this clip up (which led to other clips from Cstone). now I've missed even less of a legendary reunion! (of the songs we caught, I only remember "Never Be The Same", which did rock)

Carrie said...

Oh goodness! I don't remember comparing Bjork to Rebecca St. James! Wow...

I love posting the clips; it is my scrapbook of the festival since I forgot my camera!